Saturday, May 24, 2014

Build Day 2

For our second build day, we worked with the Good News Outreach Program in Tallahassee Florida. This program provides affordable housing to families and single parents with kids! Their neighborhood was a mobile home community and many of these homes needed repairs due to termite damage. We worked to remove 4 inches of the wooden skirting around the bottom of the homes and then reinforce it so that the termites could no longer get into the houses via the support beams along the bottom of the houses. It's kind of complicated to explain via text because I don't know any technical terms but it was actually a lot of fun! I learned the art of the electric drill and got really good at it! The site supervisor, Tom, was so nice and so helpful throughout the day and really inspired me with his stories about the families and kids that he works with and interacts with. One kid, Trevor, is 14 years old and is already trying to find work around the neighborhood he can do and trying to help in anyway possible. He has a difficult living situation and is breaks my heart because he was such an amazing kid. It made me happy to meet the kids in the neighborhood that we were helping and working on their houses so that they could live more happily and comfortably. 

I think today was when I realized that I am not only biking across the country... I'm biking TO build sites. The destination is these build sites and these are the days that really matter and make this trip worth having. I was thinking about it that we were biking from city to city but really, we are just taking breaks at night as we are biking from build to build. I'm excited for our next one and ready to hit the road. We have a 400+ week coming up.. And my butt is already mad at me! 



No comments:

Post a Comment