Saturday, May 17, 2014

Build Day One

We had an early 6:00 wake up today to get to the build site by 7:30. We tried to practice packing up in thirty minutes or less and did not make the cut.. It's apparently a lot harder to do than you would think! I have to try changing in my sleeping bag and having everything ready to go before I fall asleep at night! 

At the build, there were three build sites and they broke up our group into the different houses. I was in the house that was in the middle.. Not almost done and not brand new. I was in charge of climbing up the scaffolding and painting the exterior of the house in pretty beach colors! Baby blue siding and white trim (mom would have love loved it). We were there from 7:30-4:00 and I am beat! I wouldn't have thought it would have been so difficult! I think it might have been especially tired because the group started doing push ups the night before (try to avoid muscle imbalances). Hopefully by the end of the summer, I will be good at push ups!




After the build day, the CEO of the Beaches Habitat for Humanity, Donna Rex, came to where we were staying and talked to us a little but about what the organization is doing in the community and to thank us for our help that day. It was so amazing to see how grateful she was for our help and the impact that we made simply by spending a single day lending a hand. She told us that without our help, the affiliate wouldn't have made their deadline for the lots we were on in July and that they were going to be fined  $300,000.. It's amazing that the small amount of work we did made THAT huge of a difference. I love that the money I raised for this trip is being put into the homes and I am able to see the direct benefits and results of the build day. It was also really coo getting to talk to the site supervisors and what they're future plans are and why they are at Habitat. The woman I worked with was there with AmeriCorps doing her hours with the Beaches Habitat. The woman that was going to be moving into the house we were working on was also there working on the house so that was awesome to see! Donna really touched my heart when she explained how helpful we were and that we are taking a family and giving them a life when we give them a home. I'm happy this was the first build site we did! It set the trip off to a great tone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment