Sunday, May 18, 2014

Shake Out Ride

We started the morning with some safety presentations and learning some bike maintenance such as changing a flat or tire and cleaning the bike. The cleaning part was good because I don't (well, didn't!) really know how to do that. After all of the learning how the bike works and how to bike safely on the road, we went out to a parking lot and practiced clipping in, calling out obsticals, and looking behind the back. All of this stuff was very time intensive and good to know!! I'm excited that everyone is getting more comfortable on their bikes and we will soon be able to call eachother cyclists!

After all of the precautionary stuff, we were able to go out on a group ride and test out our new skills. It was 19.3 miles and at whatever pace our group decided to go. I went with Rhys, Dusty, Micah, Josiah, and Dillon. We stayed around 17mph so we were holding a pretty good pace! I was really happy with the ride. Natalie even rode with us for a little while. After the ride, the guys messed around doing pull ups on the monkey bars (I did one half of a pull up).. And then we waited for the people that work for Habitat to make us dinner! The appreciation that they continue to show us is overwhelming and so wonderful! It was so so nice of them to come and grill out for us. 

Laura, Colleen and I all went for a short 2 mile run before dinner started and made our way to the beach real quick for a picture! It was some good time to get to know them a little more and also some time to clear my head and get a little jog in. 

At the end of the night, we all wrote letters to ourselves to read when we get to Monterey. I think that will be fun to look back and see how I was feeling the first few days and during orientation. 

This was definitely a full day and I am feeling the effects of it! Long day but a fun one!




No comments:

Post a Comment