Saturday, June 14, 2014

Nachitoches and Elm Grove, LA

The ride to Nachitoches (pronounced nack-a-dish) was a lot of fun! I wasn't able to ride as fast as I normally would at first because if my hip being sore from the accident the day before so the first half was a little difficult but I was able to get a group that was happy to ride with me! Before lunch, I was with Dan S, Marlee, and Angela. I really liked this part of the day because we were on a really empty road and were able to ride two across so I got to have some good conversation with Angela and have a little but of story time! At lunch, Colleen bought me a strawberry shortcake ice cream pop, which was perfect! And so sweet of her :). We had a pretty short lunch and then I got on the road with Kirsten, Gaurang and Shayan and we hammered out the last twenty miles really fast to get to the host! I'm glad that we were able to get back so quickly because the town of Nachitoches is really cute! It's very historic and kind of small but there were so many little shops and it's home to the oldest general store in Louisiana. We had some extra time to walk around and check out the place and then we ended up in the Pioneer Pub for a dish called a Wookie.. And it was so good! It's fries with cheese and brisket on top. I dipped it in ranch and it was everything I could have asked for. Afterwards, we did a bike clinic, which is where little kids from the town we are visiting come and we teach them about bike safety and we set up an obsticle course. The obsticle course is just a bunch I chalk drawings where they have to stop at stop signs, stay in the lines, stop for pedestrians, avoid the debris, etc. but it's really fun because the kids are so cute and really enjoy it. This was also an awesome day because I got mail!! Huge shout out to my parents, Mom-mom and Pop-pop, Grammie and Grampie, and Wendy! Also, I forgot to do shout outs from earlier weeks so thank you again and also thank you to Aunt Martha!! I love getting mail and reading everyone's letters to me. It makes me super happy!! On top of all that, I also got to sleep on a couch that night because my thermarest has a hole in it. So overall it was a great day!

Now, I'm in Elm Grove at an alumni's house for the night!! It's amazing!! Her parents live on 150 acres of land and there's a lake.. So we are having a blast. The ride today was frustrating but I got to ride with fun people. There were a lot of really terrible drivers, a lot of dogs (none that got too close though), and A LOT of horrible roads. We also came across a huge construction zone and I'm amazed that there wasn't anyone in my group that ended up with a flat. Despite all of that, it was a good ride and we made it to the best host yet! Collyn is the girl that did B&B in 2011 and did the P2S route. Their family hosts every year and they are so awesome! Right when I got in, I jumped off my bike, took off my helmet and shoes and ran straight into the lake. They also had chips, gauc, salsa and hummus for us! Everything was perfect. And we are staying in a house for the first time since I was at home. It's pretty nice to lounge around like I used to. 









No comments:

Post a Comment